Each year, research shows us that Americans are using less of our vacation days. But not taking a break can lead to stress overload and other potentially damaging effects on your health, experts say.
According to U.S. News & World Report, vacations offer the chance to relax and restore your overall well-being. But simply taking a hiatus from your demanding workday schedule isn’t enough. Traveling somewhere new can enable you to immerse yourself in new surroundings, boost your brain power and fully recharge. With this in mind here are five key reasons why taking a vacation is beneficial to the mind, body and soul.
- You’ll Recharge Emotionally and Increase Empathy – Vacationing – especially near the water – can help us reset your emotions and actually increase compassion.
- You’ll Get Back in Shape – It may seem backwards to think of a vacation as a way to increase your fitness routine, however travelers are often more active than sitting in an office chair all day. Tourists also may walk as much as ten miles a day while sightseeing in places like Europe or Disney World.
- You’ll Engage in New Surroundings and Eliminate Stress – according to Dr. Margaret J. King, director of the Center for Cultural Studies & Analysis, “’There are lots of psychological benefits from change of venue devoted to just experiencing the environment. With a short list of activities each day, freed up from the complexities of ongoing projects and relationships, the mind and body can reset…with stress relief the main outcome.”
- You’ll Wind Down and Rest Up — Max Hirshkowitz, Chairman of the Board of the National Sleep Foundation, says traveling is a great opportunity to catch up on sleep due to the already relaxing nature of a vacation.
- You’ll Boost Your Mood — Many studies suggest that travel can improve your emotional state. A 2014 survey conducted by Diamond Resorts International found over three-quarters of respondents reported feeling happier when they planned a trip at least once a year.
Timeshare vacations are a great way to make sure you experience all of these benefits. Timeshares are prepaid, which increases the likelihood that you won’t skip vacation! These regular vacations result in many health and wellness benefits. In addition, timeshare offers an endless variety of vacation options with resorts all around the world and flexible programs, so that you can vacation when and where you want.