Vacationers are loving their timeshares! The industry association’s research group, along with Ernst & Young, just released its State of the Vacation Timeshare Industry: United States Study for 2015. It shows that the timeshare industry enjoyed steady growth in 2014. Here are a few of the highlights:
When comparing 2014 to 2013:
- Sales volume increased more than four percent, to $7.9 billion.
- There are 1,555 timeshare resorts in the United States, representing about 198,490 units.
- The average resort size was 128 units.
- The average sales price was $20,020.
- Occupancy increased two percent, up to 78 percent, compared to a 641 percent hotel occupancy rate.
There were some other interesting facts to note as well:
- 70% all timeshare units are two-plus bedrooms. An average one-bedroom unit is 700 square feet; an average two-bedroom unit is 1,160 square feet and an average three-bedroom unit is 1,590 square feet—compared to the average hotel room size of 350 square feet.
- Beach resorts are the most common type of resort.
- Theme park resorts have the highest occupancy.
- Florida has the most resorts—23% of the national total.
- Nevada has the largest average resort size—182 units on average.
- Hawaii has the highest occupancy rate for a region, at 85.3%.